帖子

积分

中级会员

认证会员

发表于 2009-3-16 19:32 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Saturday, March 14, 2009

Washington, DC

President's Radio Address

I’ve often said that I don’t believe government has the answer to every problem or that it can do all things for all people. We are a nation built on the strength of individual initiative. But there are certain things that we can’t do on our own. There are certain things only a government can do. And one of those things is ensuring that the foods we eat, and the medicines we take, are safe and don’t cause us harm. That is the mission of our Food and Drug Administration and it is a mission shared by our Department of Agriculture, and a variety of other agencies and offices at just about every level of government.

The men and women who inspect our foods and test the safety of our medicines are chemists and physicians, veterinarians and pharmacists. It is because of the work they do each and every day that the United States is one of the safest places in the world to buy groceries at a supermarket or pills at a drugstore. Unlike citizens of so many other countries, Americans can trust that there is a strong system in place to ensure that the medications we give our children will help them get better, not make them sick; and that a family dinner won’t end in a trip to the doctor’s office.

But in recent years, we’ve seen a number of problems with the food making its way to our kitchen tables. In 2006, it was contaminated spinach. In 2008, it was salmonella in peppers and possibly tomatoes. And just this year, bad peanut products led to hundreds of illnesses and cost nine people their lives – a painful reminder of how tragic the consequences can be when food producers act irresponsibly and government is unable to do its job. Worse, these incidents reflect a troubling trend that’s seen the average number of outbreaks from contaminated produce and other foods grow to nearly 350 a year – up from 100 a year in the early 1990s.

Part of the reason is that many of the laws and regulations governing food safety in America have not been updated since they were written in the time of Teddy Roosevelt. It’s also because our system of inspection and enforcement is spread out so widely among so many people that it’s difficult for different parts of our government to share information, work together, and solve problems. And it’s also because the FDA has been underfunded and understaffed in recent years, leaving the agency with the resources to inspect just 7,000 of our 150,000 food processing plants and warehouses each year. That means roughly 95% of them go uninspected.

That is a hazard to public health. It is unacceptable. And it will change under the leadership of Dr. Margaret Hamburg, whom I am appointing today as Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration. From her research on infectious disease at the National Institutes of Health to her work on public health at the Department of Health and Human Services to her leadership on biodefense at the Nuclear Threat Initiative, Dr. Hamburg brings to this vital position not only a reputation of integrity but a record of achievement in making Americans safer and more secure. Dr. Hamburg was one of the youngest people ever elected to the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine. And her two children have a unique distinction of their own. Their birth certificates feature her name twice – once as their mother, and once as New York City Health Commissioner. In that role, Dr. Hamburg brought a new life to a demoralized agency, leading an internationally-recognized initiative that cut the tuberculosis rate by nearly half, and overseeing food safety in our nation’s largest city.

Joining her as Principal Deputy Commissioner will be Dr. Joshua Sharfstein. As Baltimore’s Health Commissioner, Dr. Sharfstein has been recognized as a national leader for his efforts to protect children from unsafe over-the-counter cough and cold medications. And he’s designed an award-winning program to ensure that Americans with disabilities had access to prescription drugs.

Their critical work – and the critical work of the FDA they lead – will be part of a larger effort taken up by a new Food Safety Working Group I am creating. This Working Group will bring together cabinet secretaries and senior officials to advise me on how we can upgrade our food safety laws for the 21st century; foster coordination throughout government; and ensure that we are not just designing laws that will keep the American people safe, but enforcing them. And I expect this group to report back to me with recommendations as soon as possible.

As part of our commitment to public health, our Agriculture Department is closing a loophole in the system to ensure that diseased cows don’t find their way into the food supply. And we are also strengthening our food safety system and modernizing our labs with a billion dollar investment, a portion of which will go toward significantly increasing the number of food inspectors, helping ensure that the FDA has the staff and support they need to protect the food we eat.

In the end, food safety is something I take seriously, not just as your President, but as a parent. When I heard peanut products were being contaminated earlier this year, I immediately thought of my 7-year old daughter, Sasha, who has peanut butter sandwiches for lunch probably three times a week. No parent should have to worry that their child is going to get sick from their lunch. Just as no family should have to worry that the medicines they buy will cause them harm. Protecting the safety of our food and drugs is one of the most fundamental responsibilities government has, and, with the outstanding team I am announcing today, it is a responsibility that I intend to uphold in the months and years to come.

Thank you.

[ 本帖最后由 福德麦特 于 2009-3-16 19:33 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 1粮票 +4 收起 理由
食人鱼 + 4 感谢您对论坛的支持

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

(手有余香)

该用户从未签到

主题

帖子

1万

积分

食坛骨干

论坛长老

食坛骨干勋章优秀服务勋章爱心勋章

发表于 2009-3-16 23:22 | 显示全部楼层

通过网络翻译的

星期六, 09年3月14日

华盛顿特区

总统的广播讲话

我经常说,我不相信政府解决所有问题,或者它可以做所有的事情所有的人。我们是一个民族的实力基础上的个别倡议。但有一些事情,我们不能做我们自己的。有一些事情只有政府可以做的事。和的事情之一是确保我们所吃的食品,药品,我们采取的是安全的,并不会造成伤害我们。这就是我们的使命,食品和药物管理局和它是我们共同的使命农业部,以及各种其他机构和办事处,只是每一级的政府。

在男性和女性谁检查和测试我们的食物的安全我们的药物是化学家和医生,兽医和药剂师。这是因为他们所做的工作的每一天,美国是其中一个最安全的地方在世界上购买食品的超市或药片在药房。与公民的许多其他国家,美国人也可以相信,有一种强烈的制度,以确保药品我们让我们的孩子将帮助他们获得更好的,而不是使它们生病;和家人共进晚餐,一个不会结束的到医生的办公室。

但最近几年,我们已经看到了一些问题与食物的方式使我们的厨房表。 2006年,这是污染的菠菜。在2008年,这是沙门氏菌的辣椒和西红柿可能。和公正,今年花生产品不良导致数以百计的疾病和费用9人自己的生命-痛苦地提醒人们多么悲惨的后果可能是当粮食生产者和政府不负责任的行为是无法完成其工作。更糟糕的是,这些事件反映了一个令人不安的趋势,这是看到的平均数目暴发污染和其他食品的生产增长到近350年-从100年20世纪90年代初。

部分原因是,许多法律和规章的食品安全在美国有没有更新,因为他们所写的时间罗斯福。这也是因为我们的系统的检查和执法是如此广泛的传播了如此多的人之间,它的困难,不同地区的我国政府信息共享,协同工作,并解决问题。而且还因为美国食品和药物管理局已不足和人员不足,在最近几年,使该机构的资源,检查只是7000我们一十五点〇 〇万食品加工厂和仓库每年。这意味着大约95 %的人去uninspected 。

这是一个危害公众健康。这是不可接受的。它将改变的领导下,冯富珍博士汉堡,我今天上午任命的专员的食品和药物管理局。从她的研究传染病在美国国立卫生研究院的工作,她在公共卫生部的卫生和人类服务,以她的领导对生物的核威胁倡议,博士汉堡带来这一重要地位,不仅声誉完整,但创纪录的成就,使美国人更安全和更有保障。博士汉堡是一个年轻的人都当选为国家科学院医学研究所。和她的两个孩子有一个独特的区分自己。其出生证明书的功能她的名字两次-一次是他们的母亲,并再次成为纽约市的卫生专员。在这一作用,汉堡博士带来了新的生活了士气机构,领导一个国际公认的倡议,肺结核病率降低了近一半,并监督食品安全是我们国家最大的城市。

加入她的首席副专员将博士约书亚Sharfstein 。作为巴尔的摩卫生专员,博士Sharfstein已被承认为一个国家领导人的努力,以保护儿童免受不安全柜台止咳药和感冒药。他设计了一个获奖的项目,以确保美国残疾人获得处方药。

其关键的工作-的重要工作,他们带领美国食品和药物管理局-将是一个更大的努力,采取了一种新的食品安全工作组,我创造。这个工作组将召集内阁部长和高级官员向我提供意见我们如何才能提高我们的食品安全法律, 21世纪;促进协调整个政府,并确保我们不仅是制定法律,将美国人民的安全,但执行这些标准。我期望这组向我汇报与建议尽快。

这是我们的承诺,公众健康,我们的农业部门是关闭系统中的漏洞,以确保患病的奶牛没有找到自己的方式进入食品供应。和我们也加强食品安全体系和现代化的实验室,以10亿美元投资,其中一部分将用于大幅度增加粮食督察,帮助确保美国食品和药物管理局的工作人员和提供他们所需要的粮食,以保护我们吃。

最后,食品安全是我认真对待,而不仅仅是作为你们的总统,但作为父母。当我听到花生产品被污染今年早些时候,我马上想到我7岁的女儿,萨莎,谁拥有花生酱三明治午餐可能每周3次。没有父应该担心自己的孩子会生病从他们的午餐。正如没有家庭应该有担心,他们所购买的药品会造成他们的伤害。保护我们的安全食品和药物是一种最根本的责任政府,并以卓越的团队,我今天宣布,它是一种责任,我打算坚持在未来日子里。

谢谢您。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系方式|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|版权声明|隐私协议|食品伙伴网

GMT+8, 2021-5-17 10:35 , Processed in 0.147766 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On, Memcache On.